Two trains, each two miles long, enter two one mile long tunnels that are two miles apart from one another on the same track. The trains enter the tunnels at exactly the same time. The first train is going 5 miles/hour, and the second train is going 10 miles/hour. What is the sum of the lengths of the two trains that will protrude from the tunnels at the exact moment that they collide, assuming that neither train changes its speed prior to collision? The trains are on the same track headed in opposite directions (i.e. directly toward one another). Solution
Robert took a test of 20 questions. The test was graded by giving 10 points for each correct answer and deducting 5 points for each incorrect answer. Robert answered all 20 questions and received a score of 125. How many wrong answers did he have? Solution
If Boston is east of New York, cross out all the A's. If not, cross out the R's. If Paris is south of New York, cross out all the 0's. If not, cross out the I's. If Sri Lanka is in Asia, cross out the B's and U's. If not, cross out the C's. The remaining letters will tell you whether you've found the right answer. CAAOIIABURRIAUEIBBCIAUT Solution
1. A contronym is a single word that has two meanings that are contradictory in nature. What is a contronym for violent disorder vs. joyous revelry? 2. Which day of the week has an anagram? 3. If a red house is made from red bricks and a yellow house is made from yellow bricks, what is a green house made from? Solution
1. Fill in each blank with the same letters, in the same order, to complete the following sentence. The first letter or letters of each word are provided.
In the baseball game, the CH____ didn't bother the L____ B____, but it did bother the one before him.
2. Which one of the five is least like the other four? COPPER - IRON - BRASS - TIN - LEAD Solution |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Amazon Prime 30-day Free Trial
1. Jill offered Jack the following bet; she said she would toss 3 pennies in the air, and if they fell all heads or all tails she would give him $1. If they fell any other way, he had to give her .50 cents. Should Jack accept?
2. There's a land where there's mummies and daddies but no babies. Books but no libraries. Mirrors but no reflections. Kittens but no cats. Cattle but no cows. Lollipops but no candy and trees but no forests. It's the land of what? Solution ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
You want to send a valuable object to a friend. You have a box which is more than large enough to contain the object. You have several locks with keys. The box has a locking ring which is more than large enough to have a lock attached. But your friend does not have the key to any lock that you have. Note that you cannot send a key in an unlocked box, since it might be copied. How is this done? Solution
In this puzzle, the answer to each of the first parts is reversed to give the answer to each of the second parts.
a. reverse a card game to cloth b. reverse a feast to prize c. invert feet to exchange d. invert praise and get twofold e. invert disposition for judgment f. invert growths and get fodder g. reverse a pace and get the favorites h. invert a first appearance and get piped i. reverse a certainty for fasteners j. invert malice to exist Solution
A man is walking down a road with a basket of eggs. As he is walking he meets someone who buys one-half of his eggs plus one-half of an egg. He walks a little further and meets another person who buys one-half of his eggs plus one-half of an egg. After proceeding further he meets another person who buys one-half of his eggs plus one half an egg. At this point he has sold all of his eggs, and he never broke an egg. How many eggs did the man have to start with? Solution
1. What number would logically come next in this sequence? 4 6 5 9 4 4 2 4 ? 2. Sally promised Kate today that she will tell Kate a big secret on the day before four days from the day after tomorrow. If today is Saturday the 13th, on what day and date will Sally tell Kate her big secret? 3. Two words, my answer is only two words. To keep me, you must give me. 4. If EELS + MARK + BEST + WARY = EASY What does HELP + BARK + WARD + LEAD equal? Solution
1. What is the value of one-half of two-thirds of three-quarters of four-fifths of five-sixths of six-sevenths of seven-eighths of eight-ninths of nine-tenths of 30? 2. What number would logically come next in this sequence? 4 6 5 9 4 4 2 4 ? 3. There is a clothing store in Bartlesville. The owner has devised his own method of pricing items. A vest costs $20, socks cost $25, a tie costs $15 and a blouse costs $30. Using the method, how much would a pair of underwear cost? Solution
You are an expert on paranormal activity and have been hired to locate a spirit haunting an old resort hotel. Strong signs indicate that the spirit lies behind one of four doors. The inscriptions on each door read as follows: Door A: It's behind B or C Door B: It's behind A or D Door C: It's in here Door D: It's not in here Your psychic powers have told you three of the inscriptions are false, and one is true. Behind which door will you find the spirit? Solution
It was the middle of the winter in Scandinavia, and the poor boy, sick with a cold, was lying in bed. He woke up in the night, but he knew that the night lasted from 3:00 P.M. to 9:00 A.M. at that time of year. The boy wearily glanced at his clock and, thinking it said 4:42, buried his head back in the pillow. But as he fell asleep he realized he hadn't distinguished the hour hand from the minute hand. If it wasn't 4:42 in the morning, what other time (or times) could it have been? Solution
1. What is the four digit number in which the first digit is one-third the second, the third is the sum of the first two, and the last is three times the second? 2. What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common? 3. A man gave one son 10 cents and another son was given 15 cents. What time is it? Solution
A telephone conversation:
"Hello. Is this XYZ8765?" "Yes. Who's that?" "What? You don't recognize my voice? Why, my mother is your mother's mother-in-law." What is the relationship of the speakers? Solution
Sabrina gave Samantha as many dollars as Samantha started out with. Samantha then gave Sabrina back as much as Sabrina had left. Sabrina then gave Samantha as back as many dollars as Samantha had left, which left Sabrina broke and gave Samantha a total of $80.00. How much did Sabrina and Samantha have at the beginning of their exchange? Solution
Halloween is only 2 months away so lets get a little Tricky!
1. What word, when written in capital letters, is the same forwards, backwards and up side down?
2. In Jamaica, if you drop a steel ball weighing five pounds from a height of 45 inches, will it fall more rapidly through water at 20 degrees Fahrenheit or water at 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Or will it make no difference? Solution
1. It takes twelve one-cent stamps to make a dozen. How many four-cent stamps does it take to make a dozen? 2. There was a man climbing a ladder to somebody's house, to the nearest window. He broke into the house and took what was most precious to the family. He climbed down, and the police were there waiting for him. He returned what he took, and the police let him walk away. Why? Solution